Studierende, die einen Nachweis über ausreichende englische Sprachkenntnisse benötigen, um sich im Rahmen ihres Studiums an der Universität Konstanz für einen Studienplatz oder ein Praktikum im Ausland zu bewerben, können am Sprachlehrinstitut / Sektion Englisch einen Sprachtest ablegen. Nähere Informationen zum Test finden Sie in diesem Link oder am Schwarzen Brett gegenüber D 703. Studierende, die Sprachprüfungen wie z. B. CPE, CAE, IELTS oder TOEFL ablegen müssen, werden auf die Anbieter auf den einschlägigen Internetseiten verwiesen. Informationen über prüfungsvorbereitende Kurse, die vom Sprachlehrinstitut angeboten werden, entnehmen Sie bitte dem aktuellen Veranstaltungsverzeichnis.

Frau Zimmermann ist die koordinierende Dozentin für Englisch-Sprachtests.

The Speaking part of the English Language Tests is held online; the written part is taken at the university.

FAQs zum Thema Sprachtest Englisch

When do the tests take place?


January 12th F423
March 22nd E402
May 24th room G304
July 12th room H304
October 25th room tbc
November 22nd room tbc
December 13th room tbc

For any general enquiries, email Wendi Zimmermann

How do I register for the test?

Follow this link and choose a timeslot for the speaking test. You will then automatically be added to the list for the next written test.

You also need to send the registration form to Wendi Zimmermann. You should do the speaking test before you do the written part.

I don't have a partner for the test, can I still take it?

It's likely that someone will sign up in your time slot before the test. If not, we'll reschedule. Individual tests are very unusual but can happen if there are no other candidates.

Do I need to practise my English before the test?

No, it’s a diagnostic test designed to assess your current level of English.

Do I need to send you anything before the test?

The registration form.

If you have a particular form from the institution you're applying to, send it to Wendi Zimmermann before the test. If an SLI form is sufficient, you don't need to inform us beforehand.

What does the test consist of?

The speaking test is done in pairs via Zoom and runs as follows:

Part 1 - individual spoken part (c. 2 mins)                                        

Part 2 – pair speaking task (c. 8 mins)

The written part of the test (at the university) consists of:

25 mins gap fill texts

35 mins a short piece of writing

How long is the test?

The speaking part takes around 10 minutes, the written test takes 1 hour.

Do I need to have anything ready for the test?

Your student ID card and your national ID card/passport. You will need to show both at the beginning of the speaking and the written test.

Which room is the test in?

Please see “When do the tests take place?”

When do I get my form back?

You will usually get it back on the same day. However, if there is a large number of students taking the test, it may take longer.

Who are the tests for?

The tests are for students at the University of Konstanz who are planning a semester abroad or an internship as part of their studies here. The test is NOT for students studying English as their main subject; they should ask any lecturer from an SLI course they have successfully passed to fill in their form.

We do not offer language tests to students studying at other institutions.

The university abroad has asked for IELTS, TOEFL, CAE etc. Can I take one of these exams here?

No, the university is not an examination centre for external exams like these.

The university abroad has asked for level B1/B2/C1. Does this test give me a level like this?

Yes, we specify a level like this on your certificate.

Do I need to pass every part of the test?

You can’t pass or fail the test, it’s designed to assess your level of English.

I did a test 6 months ago and now I need another English language assessment, do I need to do another test?

We keep the tests for 2 years. If you need another certificate during that period, you don’t need to do another test; we can write you another one based on your previous results. It’s a good idea to keep a copy of your certificate as this makes it easier for us.

I need a different form for the university I’m going to. Do I need to do a different test?

Not usually, but you should contact Wendi Zimmermann and send a copy of the form so a check can be made that our test meets the requirements.